We took a three year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee in Najile, Kenya. Read on for our stories.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

5 days till we leave Najile

We had a final meeting with the food security organization located about 2 hours away in Ngong town that partners with MCC. We went to a Maasai resort about 3 hours from home. We enjoyed a shady breeze and a typical feast, then drove all the way home.
These guys are so serious about their meat. A server came with three different preparations
of meat in large quantities in addition to the chips, greens and ugali. He cut them up into small pieces including large slabs of plain blubber, right then and there on his board and served them onto plates to be passed around. Silence ensued, except for the slurping and chewing of large chunks of meat. All food, including kachumbari (fresh chopped combo of onions, green peppers, tomatoes) was eaten straight from hand to mouth.
We finished the day with a dinner with our friends, Solomon and Lydia. Doug passed on a donated laptop to support Solomon in his work. He is a local leader on the board of our HIV parnter organization.  He is an entrepreneur who together with his wife, has started a small private school. He also runs a food stuffs shop and his wife runs a little kinyozi (hair styling shop for weaves and cuts). We walked the 1 km home around 10:45 pm under the full moon.

4 comments:

  1. I know that couch. We watched "The Rain Warriors" today and I'm feeling homesick all over again for Maasailand. So far away, and a place where I was only an observer/guest. And yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain Warriers! such beautiful scenery. I look forward to re-watching that now that I know a lot more Kimaasai.

      Delete
    2. Yes! Even I could pick out a few words. I'm sure you'll understand more. But they did seem to have a different accent from Najile folks. Or maybe it was because they were men?

      Delete
  2. And thank you as always for taking the time to share your Kenya life with all of us.

    ReplyDelete