We took a three year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee in Najile, Kenya. Read on for our stories.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

6 days till we leave Najile

Our last official meeting with the Generations HIV/AIDs organzation that MCC partnered with during our time. (Our neighbor,friend, and lady who does laundry joined us for lunch) This group did not get their funding renewed by MCC, which was a pretty difficult thing for us to be involved with, but they have recently acquired complete funding through a new organization for the next 5 years. Such a good note to leave them on.
I wasn't sure whether the hen they promised to bring would arrive "toonkejek" (on foot, walking) or what. Turns out, it was already dead, but needed a little more work before it hit the pan and the fire. Doug graciously dressed the beast, while I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, building the fire, serving tea, preparing the rest of the food, answering the door, etc. 

We gave goodbye gifts and affirmations around the circle.

The men got a beautiful photo book on Maasai culture. They quickly identified family members in the book that are still alive today.

For a lady, a "very smart" dress I had made by the local seamstress.

And this one is for posterity. Someday, I told Micah (my dear neighbor boy) in my broken Maa, I will meet you all grown up, and I will pull out this picture. You will remember when you couldn't find your mom at home, so you came to my house and had leftover cake and Sprite in the afternoon.  

2 comments:

  1. SOOOO happy to hear they got other funding!! That is awesome news!!! Love the pics of K, E, and sweet Micah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were only LIKE a chicken with its head cut off. Nice word play.

    ReplyDelete