This time of year, because we had 2 weeks of rain back in beginning of December (called the Short Rains), everything grows about 500%, give or take. It becomes a big task to keep ahead of the thick beautiful prairie that grows like crazy for a couple months afterward within our fenced compound.
As I'm knee-deep slashing away with my double edged slasha blade, I notice the spectacular variety of grasses and their fancy seed heads. I'm sad to cut them, but if I don't, they will engulf the garden and the 40 trees we are nursing along and will harbor slithery unwelcome guests. The last shot is taken by Doug (he's the early bird) of an extremely rare occurance, a foggy morning rising over the Savannah (and our long drop).







Gorgeous, all of it! Hoping the "prairie" grows outside your fence, too, where you can just enjoy it. What kind of trees are you growing?
ReplyDeleteThe cows and goats overgraze anything that grows outside our fence before it has much time to even grow, unfortunately (unless fenced well, cows and goats run free over everything). Though, it may look bushy and lush, its a bit of an illusion. Its mostly tough grass clup "stumps" and thorn bushes and thorn trees. I mostly don't know the kinds of the trees. I'm not a student of that. I do know that we have some Moringa and in fact we are cultivating Moringa for harvesting and producing a fine green vitamin rich powder from the leaves. It is a medicinal tree. Every part useful and fairly drought resistant. I have a post on that somewhere,too.
Delete