We took a three year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee in Najile, Kenya. Read on for our stories.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cabin Tour

Those of you who know me, know that I am not a mechanized person. I prefer to ride my bike, paddle my own canoe, swim, climb, hike on my own two feet and I prefer not to use gas unless necessary, but, flexibility is the name of the game in order to enjoy the experience and relate in the "cabin on the lake culture" of the Minnesotans. The past two weeks of what I like to call our "Cabin Tour" found me driving both a motor boat, and a jet ski for the first time ever.

After one practice lap, the next step was driving to pull my husband on the wakeboard! I was so nervous my hands cramped from gripping the throttle, but I gritted my teeth and did it.

Despite myself I enjoyed the experience and was grateful for opportunities to be outside and to play amidst the other events of our lives. 
Still, my favorite type of boat was the Hobie Cat. We pulled it down off its cement blocks, scrubbed off all the spiders and the lichen built up on the ropes. Then, we paddled it out for a ways and dropped the anchor and enjoyed a swimming platform.  A couple days later the breezes had picked up so we took it out for a sail.



Here are a few other shots, for fun:
pickles
Father-in-law in front
cooling off
every small Minnesotan town wants to compensate for its size somehow...
hanging out


No comments:

Post a Comment