Should I give water to my neighbors from our tanks or should I encourage them to pool their money and get a community tank to collect water so they aren’t without water on the days when the pipes aren’t flowing and I’m not around anymore? All daily water is carried on the backs of the women and girls from some water point close or far- from 1/8 mile and upwards.
| Neighbor and one of her daughters |
Cultural dilemmas.
My culture: Think ahead to avoid difficulties, be independent, and self-sufficient- don’t have to ask for water. Value taking responsibility for myself. Value caring for others.
Local culture: Value interdependence, ask from whoever has the resource at the time that you need it. Value highly generosity. Give because sometime in the future you will need help- because each day has enough trouble of its own. Don’t generally register concept of self-sufficiency.
Big picture dilemmas.
Here, the community as a whole is caught in the throws of cultural change. The larger cultures of Kenya and the world are encroaching. It's adjust or be left behind and stay in poverty. The young men are getting educated and leaving in large numbers. Some of the lucky young women are also getting educated, but more often they come back. Already a rampant dependency syndrome (emergent of complex sociological sources) keeps this community paralyzed to improve their lives as most of them say they wish to do. Dependency is the attitude that any progress or improvement in lifestyle comes from gifts from the outside. People literally wait around for it. The presence of a pale skinned person indicates a gift might be closer than they thought. Initiative towards hopes for a change in lifestyle is rare.
| Our next door neighbors to the south. Each wife has her own house that she has built. |
As a community development worker, how do I support the rich cultural values, yet challenge dependency because it paralyzes the people? Am I making the paralysis up because what I see here doesn’t fit my protestant work ethic North American culture? Doesn't Jesus say to give without expecting in return? How do I address dependency paralysis with folks who have never been to school and/or never outside this community, who’s mind-scape and worldview are as different as the Sahara and the Amazon to mine?
Many days, amidst this thunderstorm of questions, I share the water my husband has so carefully collected with all his water system expertise, when the community stand pipe is not flowing. I use the time to connect with my neighbors and practice my Maa language. If I run out, I will have to find someone to ask for water.
oh I hear you. makin' me cry. yes. and you will have grace either way- giving water despite the tension, or asking for.
ReplyDeleteI am suddenly in a needy position and there are a lot of things to adjust to, that I've never experienced from this vantage point before.
as hard as it is to give without expecting anything in return, maybe it's harder (in our culture) to accept ...? I appreciate your digging into these questions and letting us peek over your shoulder for this journey.
ReplyDeleteYou're living so close to so many important questions.
ReplyDelete