We took a three year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee in Najile, Kenya. Read on for our stories.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

shaai (chai)

Most all Kenyans drink "chai". But the Maasai borrow the word and change it to fit their language making it "shaai".  Here is the step by step to making shaai. 
 First, put a ratio of 1 1/2 to 1 water to milk in your pan. Then sprinkle the loose leaf black Kenyan tea on top. Ever made "cowboy coffee"? Same idea.
 Put pot of watery  milk with tea on top on the fire.
Make sure that you keep your eye on the pot so that when it starts to rise, you catch it before it boils over (I've done this too many times). It always makes me think of coffee cake when I look at the top of the risen shaai.
Pour the tea through the strainer and into your "olthermos" or straight into your cup. Most people add the sugar before serving. I let my guests add their own sugar to taste. And do they ever add the sugar! Neaku taa lelo. Karibuni shaai. (that's how it is. Welcome to your shaai.)

2 comments: