We took a three year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee in Najile, Kenya. Read on for our stories.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

For the Birders Among Us: Lake Naivasha

The following pictures are internet images, but if I had a camera capable of taking images of the birds I saw, I would have taken something similar. We identified these birds today walking under the giant Yellow Acacia trees staring into the swampy edge of Lake Naivasha. We did not see them, but we knew the hippos were hiding in among the water plants, waiting for the their grazing time after dark. 

African Jacana. Check out the size of this guy's feet.
 He's made for walking on floating plants.

Common Moorhen

Pied Kingfisher.  The handful we saw were doing exactly this;
sitting very still, staring down into the still water at the edge of the lake. 

White Browed Coucal. I hunted this one down in the
shrubby trees since his call was so distinct.

Purple Swamphen

2 comments:

  1. Wow. God never runs out of designs, does He? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we know who we are... and we are very excited about the additions to your life list!!!

    ReplyDelete