We took a three year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee in Najile, Kenya. Read on for our stories.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pasaka


Our Pasaka (Easter) celebrations this year included three specific things. The first was the reading of Jesus' story of death and resurrection over the course of the weekend. The second included the baking of a special treat using lots of butter: scones (thank you, Doug). The third included the blowing out and joint decorating of one brown egg that is now prominantly displayed on its little kanga cloth stand inside a glass on the table. It was a nice quiet weekend. We've been traveling and away so much, it was nice to be home.




3 comments:

  1. It sounds perfectly lovely. My Easter was so loud I couldn't hear myself think, and I was just contemplating what a simple, quiet celebration might look like .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mention the church service in the church next door. We often hear loud music for a couple hours before it even starts. Later when we'd arrived, the teenage guys working the sound system couldn't get a loud static out of the sound so that put it all over the top for a while till half way through the sermon the normal guy arrived and came to their rescue. When the first choir of sunday school children started to enter through the side door, I literally jumped, the electronic beat and pounding repetitive chords were so loud. I couldn't even tell that the 20 children were singing... too bad! I am not a fan of not being able to hear in church ! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete