We took a three year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee in Najile, Kenya. Read on for our stories.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Tip of an iceberg- a few thoughts on "buying power"

What's buying power? It refers to the resources I have to buy what I need (let alone want) at the moment that I need it, whether through my organization I work with,  my savings, rich relatives or friends, even, if push came to shove, through a visa card. I have lots of buying power.

My guess is that for most of y'all its the same to some degree or another. The facts are that the vast majority of humanity has never experienced the buying power we often take for granted in the U.S. (in recent news article: nearly 70 per cent of all houses in Nairobi comprise of single 10 x 10 shacks made of wood, mud, tin, galvanised sheets or wattle.)

And this includes my neighbors.  They live season to season; money from sale of a goat to the money from the sale of the next goat.  If they need something, they ask if the neighbor can share. They often do without at least for a while until they can walk to the market that is 10 km away (none of this hop in the car and run to Target business).  The expectations of the people as to what they want/need and when/if they can get it is completely different from those in the U.S.

One of the ways I notice my own buying power and expectations of such is in healthcare.  One of the people I know has a small tumor on his neck. Due to limited resources, he has not taken care of it even though he often has headaches and other symptoms.  I find myself thinking that he should prioritize spending his money on this, but his expectations and buying power are different than mine.

 One disadvantage of less buying power: because of complex reasons, many in this community are paralyzed in a dependency mindset that says they can't do things or get things for themselves. Some of my neighbors often want me to give them things- anything- they want it.  This attitude says that the source of improvement in their lives is from outside, especially white folks (who are an endless supply of money)*.

 Sometimes I selfishly am irritated with the awkward interactions that this dependency mindset puts me in with my neighbors.  I have to remember  there are many things currently and from history that play causative roles in these tangles. Its just like in our own country where people groups oppress others causing devastating dependency and lack of empowerment and dignity.

One benefit of less buying power, as I observe, is that connections to people are highly prized; family and neighborly connections.   The more connections you have, the more buying power you are potentially able to have. In my culture its not "cool" to make friends for what they can give you or what connections they have for you. But, here, its the genuine norm.  It is not seen as sneaky or shallow. In complement to that, being generous is a highly valued quality.

The big question is how to best love one's neighbor in these situations. My working response currently is that it is a case by case situation.  In one case, it may be best not to get in the habit of giving when asked. In another case it may be best for me to find ways to help someone help themselves, if they are willing. In other cases it is wise to just say, "not today". Regardless, the impetus is upon me as the one with lots of buying power.

* A large part of our work includes working to evolve this mindset by empowerment of the people toward serving the needs in their own communities.

1 comment:

  1. This is a thought provoking post, Corinna. We know some of this from living in Central America and from medical mission trips. It is a difficult cultural tangle to navigate. We pray for wisdom for you two and that you will not become "weary in well doing" to quote king james version.
    love, dad c.

    ReplyDelete